Seaforth Channel Incident
Incident Start Date
October 13, 2016 01:13
November 2, 2016 17:00
Next Situation Report
November 3, 2016 – 0900 hours
Seaforth Channel, approximately 11nm west of Bella Bella
The Tug Nathan E. Stewart and Barge DBL 55 ran hard aground on the rocks at 10/13/16 (01:13 PDT). The unit was located in Canadian Waters at 52.14.46N, 128.23.160W at the entrance to Seaforth Channel. The tug remains aground on Athlone Island, approximately 15.5 nm from Bella Bella by water. The tug is aground in shallow water and is partially submerged.
**Volume estimates were updated as follows (on 28 Oct 2016):
The tug was loaded with 223,831 litres of diesel fuel. Kirby was able to confirm that 24,605 litres of diesel fuel were pumped from the tug into tank 3 port on the barge before the pumps failed due to water in the engine room. As of 24/10/16, 110,131 liters of an oil-water mixture has been pumped off of the vessel. At this time all tanks aboard the tug have been pumped off to a lightering vessel. Protective booming of the tug will remain in place throughout the salvage operation. Initial calculations based on volumes recovered have been revised and are estimated at 101,104 litres of diesel and 3,668 litres (down from 4,883 litres) of lubricants (lube oil, hydraulic oil, gear oil, and spent lube) released to the environment. Further analysis of the composition of the recovered product will be required prior to a definitive number being released. ***
• Ensure the safety of public and response personnel
• Provide proper PPE to all Personnel
• Secure the vessel and refloat/remove from the marine environment
• Control the source
• Containment & collection during repositioning & lifting operation
• Maximize protection of environmentally-sensitive areas, prioritizing of sample collection
• Contain, Recover and Dispose of Spilled Material
• Remove oil from impacted areas
• Recover and rehabilitate impacted wildlife
• Manage coordinated response effort
• Keep the public & stakeholders informed of response activities
• Clear and consistent communication to the community
• Minimize economic impacts from the spill to the Heiltsuk community and the environment
• Minimize local business interruption
• Maintain focus on mitigating and assessing environmental damage
• After removal of the casualty, assess damage to the habitat and if necessary develop a restoration plan
Jess Housty (Heiltsuk Nation Incident Commander)
Brian Wootton (Federal Incident Commander)
Graham Knox (Provincial Incident Commander)
Matt Lewis (Kirby Incident Commander)
• When approaching other vessels please communicate intension and take care when doing vessel to vessel transfers.
• Safety inspections are being conducted for all vessels on the response
• Safety protocols remain in place – as stated on previous situation reports.
• The fisheries closure for bivalve shellfish fisheries in the Seaforth Channel and Gale Passage remains in place.
• For more information contact: Elysha Gordon 250-756-7192
INCIDENT COMMAND POST
• The ICP continues to operate out of the Heiltsuk Nation Tribal Council chambers.
• Staging is available at the Bella Bella fuel dock and at Shearwater.
• On-water staging of equipment has been on barges around the response site
On Scene Safety
• NOTAM extended to 11th November 2016 at midnight (2500’ ceiling and 5nm radius around the casualty).
• CCGS Bartlett will depart at 1700hrs, CCGS Tully will provide on-scene coordination to all vessels in the field for the day & night.
• The CCGS Tanu to provide safety support to vessels in the field.
• The CCGS Tully 2 is to transfer personnel between Bella Bella and the casualty site as needed.
• All small boats stand down due to weather. Medium-sized boats at Captain’s discretion.
• 18’ King Fisher II (not part of operation) entered Gale Creek during small vessel stand down. At 1402 Kingfisher II checked in, tasked with repairing Kingfisher’s engine troubles in Gale Creek. 1526 finished repairs on Kingfisher heading for BB 1POB.
• DB General has been moved to Norman Morrison Bay and conducting preparations for redeployment for next window of opportunity.
• Receiving Barge arrived and cradle for casualty is being prepped.
• Casualty hooked to 10 ton danforth anchor in place.
Spill Response Ops – (*In the case of a spill the drone pilot will deploy a drone in the air with IR cameras to track the spill location for recovery*)
• There were no operations overnight. CCGS John P. Tully remained at anchor 0.7’ NW of the casualty.
• 2140 to 2149 Drone flight revealed no apparent signs of contaminants on the surface. Periodic checks of the casualty and the primary barrier were made from the Tully with the use of spotlights; all appeared to be in good order.
• GM Penman and BC4 remained in Shearwater overnight on standby.
• All vessels stood down due to current conditions and forecasted weather.
• Containment boom around the casualty, the deflection boom at the mouth of Gale Creek, and the protection boom in Gale Creek Lagoon are bing mantained.
• All sorbent boom will be recovered and not left out during bad weather conditions.
• Beach crew lifts all cancelled.
• Observation and accountability overflight at 0900.
• DASH 7 Overflight did not take place.
• 1000 unscheduled crew extraction.
SCAT – (SCAT teams have a mixed representation from Heiltsuk Nation, CCG, BC Ministry of Environment and Polaris with sampling by Cardno)
• PRE-SCAT surveys on the shoreline of Thompson Bay working north in Gale Creek. If completed, teams will move to the north shoreline of Seaforth Channel from Spiller Channel to Ivory Island.
• Will survey the oiled shoreline in Segment 53 inshore from the vessel to review remediation.
• The wildlife field team expects to complete wildlife monitoring along the south shore of Seaforth Channel, east and west of the casualty, and Powell Anchorage.
• Archaeology vessel is surveying the shoreline south of the casualty site.
• Weather permitting – Sampling teams will be at: Casualty Site, Athlone Clam Bed, Dufferin Clam Bed, Oliver, Moss, E Tuno, Powell Anchorage, Gale Creek High Beach, Gale Creek Narrows (if needed), Raymond West, Matilda, Odin.
• BC Ministry of Environment continued to work with Heiltsuk Nation, supported by Environment Canada in the Environment Unit.
• Environment Canada (SSC) continued to support contingency planning for salvage operations with trajectory modeling in the event of a release and site specific weather forecasting.
• Responder Information Session took place at 1700 with the Heiltsuk community.
• CBC Daybreak interview took place at 1030 hrs on 2nd November, coordinated by PIO.
• Spill information website has been activated
Seaforth Channel Weather: – On scene update at 1700 hours (02/11/16)
(CCGS John P. Tully)
Winds: SE 12-15 knots
Skies: overcast, visibility 5nm
Barometer: 994.9 mbar, steady.
1ft wind chop
Seaforth Channel Site Specific Forecast
Issued 4:00 PM PDT 2 November 2016
Tonight and Thursday:
At 4:00 p.m. PDT today frontal system located on a line east-west over Haida Gwaii. By 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight departing frontal system located over the Alaska panhandle. At 8:00 p.m. PDT tonight low located over western Bowie.
By 10:30 a.m. PDT Thursday departing low located over the Gulf of Alaska. At 5:00 p.m. PDT Thursday approaching frontal system located
Central Coast Marine Forecast (Environment Canada)
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 02 November 2016.
Tonight and Thursday: Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 45 to 55 knots diminishing to south 35 Thursday morning and to south 25 early Thursday afternoon. Wind increasing to south 35 to 45 Thursday evening.
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 02 November 2016
Today Tonight and Thursday: Seas 4 to 6 metres building to 6 to 8 near midnight then subsiding to 5 late Thursday morning.
MARINE WEATHER STATEMENT
Issued 3:52 PM PDT 2 November 2016
A frontal system over Haida Gwaii will move to lie north of the marine regions tonight. Gale to storm force east to southeast winds
ahead of the front will veer to a more southerly direction in its wake. Gale to storm force southerlies will persist over most waters tonight as an intense low pressure system crosses the Bowie. A slight break in the winds is expected on Thursday before the next big system starts moving into the southern waters in the evening.
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 02 November 2016
Friday: Wind southeast 45 to 60 knots.
Saturday: Wind south 30 to 40 knots diminishing to south 25 late in the day.
Sunday: Wind south 20 knots increasing to southeast 35 to 45 late in the day.