Seaforth Channel Incident

Incident Start Date
October 13, 2016 01:13

Current Date/Time
November 4, 2016 14:00

Next Situation Report
November 5, 2016 – 09:00 hours

Seaforth Channel, approximately 11nm west of Bella Bella

The Tug Nathan E. Stewart and Barge DBL 55 ran hard aground on the rocks at 10/13/16 (01:13 PDT). The unit was located in Canadian Waters at 52.14.46N, 128.23.160W at the entrance to Seaforth Channel. The tug remains aground on Athlone Island, approximately 15.5 nm from Bella Bella by water. The tug is aground in shallow water and is partially submerged.
**Volume estimates were updated as follows (on 28 Oct 2016):
The tug was loaded with 223,831 litres of diesel fuel. Kirby was able to confirm that 24,605 litres of diesel fuel were pumped from the tug into tank 3 port on the barge before the pumps failed due to water in the engine room. As of 24/10/16, 110,131 liters of an oil-water mixture has been pumped off of the vessel. At this time all tanks aboard the tug have been pumped off to a lightering vessel. Protective booming of the tug will remain in place throughout the salvage operation. Initial calculations based on volumes recovered have been revised and are estimated at 101,104 litres of diesel and 3,668 litres (down from 4,883 litres) of lubricants (lube oil, hydraulic oil, gear oil, and spent lube) released to the environment. Further analysis of the composition of the recovered product will be required prior to a definitive number being released. ***

• Ensure the safety of public and response personnel
• Provide proper PPE to all Personnel
• Secure the vessel and refloat/remove from the marine environment
• Control the source
• Containment & collection during repositioning & lifting operation
• Maximize protection of environmentally-sensitive areas, prioritizing of sample collection
• Contain, Recover and Dispose of Spilled Material
• Remove oil from impacted areas
• Recover and rehabilitate impacted wildlife
• Manage coordinated response effort
• Keep the public & stakeholders informed of response activities
• Clear and consistent communication to the community
• Minimize economic impacts from the spill to the Heiltsuk community and the environment
• Minimize local business interruption
• Maintain focus on mitigating and assessing environmental damage
• After removal of the casualty, assess damage to the habitat and if necessary develop a restoration plan

Unified Command
Jess Housty (Heiltsuk Nation Incident Commander)
Brian Wootton (Federal Incident Commander)
Graham Knox (Provincial Incident Commander)
Jim Guidry (Kirby Incident Commander) 


• When approaching other vessels please communicate intension and take care when doing vessel to vessel transfers.
• Safety inspections are being conducted for all vessels on the response
• Safety protocols remain in place – as stated on previous situation reports.
• All responders not receiving operational text message updates are to ensure their contact information is updated with the ICP.
• At 2300 hours November 03 a responder slipped and entered the water after losing footing while transferring from barge to dock. Incident Report is being forwarded to Safety Officer from Strategic supervisor.
• All incidents must be reported immediately by supervisors and without delay so an adequate safety investigation can be completed.

• The fisheries closure for bivalve shellfish fisheries in the Seaforth Channel and Gale Passage remains in place.
• For more information contact: Elysha Gordon 250-756-7192

• The ICP continues to operate out of the Heiltsuk Nation Tribal Council chambers.

• Staging is available at the Bella Bella fuel dock and at Shearwater.
• On-water staging of equipment has been on barges around the response site


On Scene Safety
• NOTAM extended to 11th November 2016 at midnight (2500’ ceiling and 5nm radius around the casualty).
• CCGS Tully will provide on-scene coordination to all vessels in the field (24 hours).
• The CCGS Tully 2 is to transfer personnel between Bella Bella and the casualty site as needed.
• All boat operations have been suspended except for large vessels at Captain’s discretion due to current weather conditions.
• The CCGS Tully continued to provide safety and support for incident personnel.
• The CCGS Tanu as of 1300 November 04 is disembarking Heiltsuk representatives and underway to safe anchorage. Tomorrow Tanu will escort CCG and Heiltsuk representatives and continue to provide safety and support for incident personnel in Seaforth Channel.
• UC has directed development of an on-water communications schedule going forward.

Salvage Ops
• DB General has been moved to Norman Morrison Bay and conducting preparations for redeployment for next window of opportunity.
• Receiving Barge arrived and cradle for casualty is being prepped.
• Casualty hooked to 10 tonne danforth anchor in place.

Spill Response Ops – (*In the case of a spill the drone pilot will deploy a drone in the air with IR cameras to track the spill location for recovery*)
• GM Penman pulling Burrard Cleaner 4 and Eagle Bay pulling WB 29 have returned and will be returning to Shearwater to drop anchor. At 1130 hours they successfully deployed deflection and collection boom to protect clam beds in East Tuno.
• Some sampling was completed today. Hakkai Ranger en route to Shearwater due to weather conditions as of 1300 hours. Abigail en route to Shearwater due to weather conditions as of 1300 hours. Sampling will continue tomorrow subject to weather conditions.
• CCGS John P. Tully is holding position 0.5 miles north of Gale Creek passage standing by until further notice.
• CCGS Bartlett is anchored south of Saunders Island. ICP and support functions familiarization hosting CCG senior management representative for the night.
• CCGS Tanu has two Heiltsuk representatives onboard patrol. Tanu will take on two Heiltsuk representatives and CCG senior management representative for local patrol in Seaforth Channel and safety and support functions.
• All sorbent boom will be recovered and not left out during bad weather conditions.

Air Operations
• At 1000 hours helicopter collected sampling. All other helicopters stood down due to weather.
• CCG Helicopter 429 out of service, CCG Helicopter 212 is on its way pending weather. Arrival time unknown.
• DASH 7 stood down due to weather.
• Observation overflight stood down due to weather.

• Sampling includes tissue, sediment, water, vegetation sampling.
• Analysis of sampling results will be provided in a separate form following review and analysis of the data.
• FAST, Recon and SCAT teams continue to collect samples as required by reports from the field, weather permitting.
• Environment Canada (SSC) continued to support contingency planning for salvage operations with trajectory modeling in the event of a release and site specific weather forecasting.
• Note: Agencies participating in the EU include Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Environment and Climate Change Canada, BC Ministry of Environment, First Nations Health Authority, Focus Wildlife, Health Canada, Cardno, Pacificus, Kirby Offshore Marine LLP, and Heiltsuk Nation.

SCAT – (SCAT teams have a mixed representation from Heiltsuk Nation, CCG, BC Ministry of Environment and Polaris with sampling by Cardno)
• PRE-SCAT surveys on the shoreline of Thompson Bay working north in Gale Creek. If completed, teams will move to the north shoreline of Seaforth Channel from Spiller Channel to Ivory Island.
• SCAT Teams have surveyed 145km of shoreline
• 3 Shoreline treatment recommendations have been produced and actioned. Shoreline treatment areas are in Segment 1798 covering 150m inshore from the casualty site.
• When weather is permitting, will survey the shoreline inshore from the vessel to continue to monitor the conditions.

• The wildlife field team stood down until weather permitting.

• Archaeology vessel is surveying the shoreline south of the casualty site.

• Cultural briefings are available for all incoming personnel.
• Spill information website has been activated

Seaforth Channel Weather: – On scene update at 1300 hours (04/11/16)
(CCGS John P. Tully)

Winds: SSE 30-40, gusting 55 kts.
Skies: overcast, visibility 6nm.
Barometer: 1000.0 mbar, barometer steady.
Sea: 1.0m swell from W, 3’- 4’ chop from SE.
Temp: 12.9°C

Seaforth Channel Site Specific Forecast

Forecast Issue Time: 13:00 PDT 04/11/2016 (Environment Canada)

Seaforth Channel Specific Synoptic Discussion

Issued 10:30 AM PDT 4 November 2016 Today Tonight and Saturday At 10:30 a.m. PDT today frontal system located over Haida Gwaii to Explorer.
By 11:00 p.m. PDT tonight frontal system located on a line north-south over central Vancouver Island. At 10:30 a.m. PDT today deepening trough from 970 mb low located on a line northeast-southwest over Bowie. By 5:00 p.m. PDT Saturday weakening low 985 mb located over Haida Gwaii.

Central Coast Marine Forecast (Environment Canada)


Issued 10:30 AM PDT 04 November 2016
Today Tonight and Saturday Storm warning in effect. Wind southeast 50 to 60 knots diminishing to southeast 35 to 45 this afternoon then veering to southerly 25 to 35 this evening. Wind becoming southerly 20 to 30 late overnight then increasing to southeast 35 to 45 Saturday morning. Wind diminishing to southwest 20 to 30 Saturday evening.


Issued 04:00 AM PDT 04 November 2016
Today Tonight and Saturday Seas 6 to 8 metres subsiding to 4 to 6 this evening.


Issued 10:30 AM PDT 04 November 2016
Today Tonight and Saturday Rain. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.


Issued 04:00 AM PDT 04 November 2016
Wind southerly 15 to 25 knots increasing to southeast 25 to 35 in the morning and to southeast 50 to 60 in the afternoon.
Wind southeast 50 to 60 knots diminishing to south 25 to 35.
Wind south 30 to 40 knots.